Connect with us

World News

Queen Elizabeth approves posthumous top WWII honour for Australian teenager

Published

on

Queen Elizabeth II has agreed to recognise a teenage sailor who went down with his ship firing on attacking planes in World War II, her royal representative in Australia said on Wednesday.

Governor General David Hurley said Elizabeth, Australia’s head of state, had agreed to the government’s request to award Edward “Teddy” Sheean a posthumous Victoria Cross, the country’s highest possible award, for his bravery in action in 1942.

The 18-year-old had strapped himself into an anti-aircraft gun to fight off attacking Japanese aircraft that were firing on his shipmates in the water as their corvette HMAS Armidale was sinking off the coast of Timor.

Survivors said Sheean continued to fire at the Japanese planes even as the ship slipped beneath the waves, his finger still on the trigger firing from under the surface as the ship sank, according to the Australian Dictionary of Biography at the Australian National University.

They said he hit one Japanese plane and fought off others that were strafing the crew struggling in the water.

Australia’s Prime Minister Scott Morrison said Monday a committee had found Sheean should have been granted a posthumous Victoria Cross many years ago.

Plans are being made with Sheean’s family in Tasmania to hold an official military ceremony to mark the award, the first Victoria Cross ever awarded to a member of the Royal Australian Navy, Hurley said.

Hurley told reporters many people had been inspired by the story of “a young man serving his nation who chose certain death over the chance of survival to try to save his mates who were in the water.”

World News

Conviction of U.S. journalist, symbolic of media repression in Myanmar – UN rights chief

Published

on


The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Michelle Bachelet, says conviction and harsh sentencing of American journalist, Danny Fenster, is symbolic of media repression in Myanmar.

Bachelet said on Friday that conviction of Fenster is emblematic of a wider plight of journalists in the country who have faced constant repression, in the wake of a military coup in February.

Fenster, 37, is the managing editor of an independent magazine called Frontier Myanmar.

On Friday, he was sentenced to 11 years in jail by a military court in Yangon, the country’s largest city, for violating visa laws, unlawful association with an illegal group, and sowing dissent against the military.

Bachelet urged authorities in Myanmar to immediately release all journalists who have been jailed for practicing their profession.

“Journalists have been under attack since February 1, with the military leadership clearly attempting to suppress their attempts to report on the serious human rights violations being perpetrated across Myanmar as well as the extent of opposition to the regime.

“Myanmar has quickly reverted to an environment of information control, censorship and propaganda seen under military regimes in the past,” Bachelet said.

Since the military takeover, at least 126 journalists, media officials or publishers have been detained in Myanmar, the UN rights chief said.

Forty-seven are still in detention, 20 of whom have been charged with crimes related to their work as journalists.

She added that nine media outlets have had their licences revoked, while 20 others have had to suspend operations. Dozens of journalists are reportedly in hiding due to outstanding arrest warrants.

The sentencing of Fenster followed what Bachelet described as “a closed door, unfair trial”. The managing editor still faces a second trial with charges of high treason and violations of the country’s counter-terrorism law.

In deploring the persecution of journalists, Bachelet said that attacks against them further increase the vulnerability of huge sections of society who rely on accurate and independent information.

“With the crackdowns on journalists, internet shutdowns, restrictions on free access to online and other data sources, people are being deprived life-saving information,” she added.

Continue Reading

World News

Israeli government wins budget vote, avoiding new elections

Published

on

Israeli government wins budget vote, avoiding new elections

The Israeli parliament has voted to approve the government’s proposed budget, avoiding the need for fresh elections.

The Israeli parliament, the Knesset, passed the 2021 state budget into law with 61 votes in favour out of 120 members of parliament.

This gives Israel a new budget for the first time since March 2018, the Jerusalem post newspaper reported online.

The budget being approved was a crucial step for the governing coalition under Prime Minister Naftali Bennett to remain in place.

“A holiday for the state of Israel and fresh elections would have been required had the budget not passed,” Bennett tweeted.

Last year, the government under long-time prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu failed to agree on a budget and the Knesset was dissolved shortly before the end of the year.

Elections were then called in March, establishing the current government.

Following the vote on the 2021 budget, the Knesset then began voting on the 2022 budget.

Bennett’s cabinet was sworn in in mid-June, ending a fractious time in Israel politics, with four elections in two years.

[Biden mourns 700,000 Americans lost to COVID-19]

However, Bennett’s government coalition only has a wafer-thin majority in parliament.

It is supported by a total of eight parties from the right to the left – including an Arab party for the first time.

Bennett has called on the coalition partners to stick together so as not to endanger their parliamentary majority.

Jonathan Rynhold, professor of politics at Bar-Ilan University near Tel Aviv, says Bennett’s government is strengthened for the time being.

Rynhold said he assumed that the government will stay together as long as opposition leader Netanyahu remains a threat to the coalition.

Since the last budget was passed in March 2018 for 2019 , Israel has been governed on the basis of the previous year’s budget.

Continue Reading

World News

Britain seeks urgent session of top UN rights body on Sudan

Published

on

Britain seeks urgent session of top UN rights body on Sudan

Britain said it had requested that the UN Human Rights Council convene an emergency session on Sudan following last week’s military coup.

The request was sent to the president of the 47-member Geneva forum on behalf of 18 member states, more than the one-third required to convene a special session.

It was backed by 30 countries with observer status, including the United States.

“The actions of the Sudanese military are a betrayal of the revolution, the transition & the hopes of the Sudanese people,” Simon Manley, Britain’s ambassador to the UN in Geneva, said in a tweet.

Last week, Sudan’s military took power in a coup, detaining civilian officials and politicians, and promising to establish a new government of technocrats.

The coup has been met with opposition and street demonstrations over the last week.

Continue Reading

Trending