Connect with us

Sports

Samson Siasia hopeful of raising N36.4m CAS fee to appeal FIFA lifetime ban before March 19

Published

on

Samson Siasia hopeful of raising N36.4m CAS fee to appeal FIFA lifetime ban before March 19

Samson Siasia hopeful of raising N36.4m CAS fee to appeal FIFA lifetime ban before March 19

Embattled Nigerian coach, Samson Siasia, has revealed he is hopeful of raising the N36.4m (100,000 Swiss Francs) appeal fee demanded by the Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS) before the March 19 deadline set by the court to hear his case.

To the shock of Nigerians, Samson Siasia, one of Nigeria’s most decorated coaches, was fined $50,000 and banned for life from all football activities by football’s governing body, FIFA, last year over allegations of complicity in match fixing.

Siasia, ever since the ban, has denied being involved in match fixing and swiftly headed for the Court of Arbitration for Sports, CAS, in Lausanne, Switzerland, confident he could prove his innocence and get the FIFA ban reversed, but he’ll have to pay 100, 000 Swiss Francs (about N36.4m) appeal fee before his appeal could be entertained by the apex court of Sports.

Siasia was given until October 10, 2019 to make the payment or forget his appeal, but used his legal team to persuade CAS to give him a 5 month grace period to raise the appeal fee.

Read also: Super Eagles retain 31st position in latest FIFA ranking

Asked about the allegations of his involvement in a match fixing, Siasia said;

“That’s not correct. Nigerians know me too well. How can I get involved in match fixing, knowingly or not? ,” he said to CompleteSportsNigeria.

“What happened was that I was discussing with an agent over a job offer in an undisclosed Australian club. The job did not eventually come through anyway.
“But I was made to understand later that the man had previously been associated with match fixing.

“Mine was just an honest discussion for job offer which never came through in the end.”

Speaking about how he intends to raise the fund, the Bayelsa born tactician said;

“At the moment, not much has really come in. But I’m confident that before this month (February) ends, individuals and corporate bodies who want to render financial assistance would be able to respond positively,”

“There are promises here and there. And, of course, you know the situation in the country at the moment. But I still remain optimistic, given their words of promises that at most, by this February ending, I should be able to get enough financial assistance to sort things out”.

“My lawyers made a strong appeal to CAS and now the case has been moved to March 19, 2020”.

“They are very strict this time around, but I’m confident we will meet the financial demands before then.”

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Sports

I have not resigned as Super Eagles coach, but will hand over to Poseiro– Eguavoen

Published

on

Super Eagles Interim coach, Augustine Eguavoen has denied resignation rumour about leaving his position, but will instead hand over to incoming technical adviser, Jose Poseiro.

Nigeria’s exit from the ongoing Cameroon 2021 Africa Cup of Nations after losing 0-1 to Tunisia in the Round of 16, ending Eguavoen’s hopes of keeping the job permanently.

Speaking after Sunday’s loss to Tunisia, Eguavoen announced that he would return to his job as Nigeria Football Federation’s (NFF) Technical Director, adding that he would leave the decision of who becomes the coach of the team to the Federation.

He said: “I am the interim coach and Technical Director of the NFF, I will go back to my position and allow the Federation to make a decision on the way forward.”

In a chat with The Guardian on Monday, shortly before the team left Garoua for Abuja, Eguavoen said he felt bad that the Super Eagles crashed out of the tournament at such level despite the support from Nigerians.

“I became emotional just like the players at the end of the match, but that is football for you. We tried our best to win, even after Alex Iwobi was given a red card.

“Before then, we had a big chance to change the game, but things didn’t work for us. In the second half, we knew that Kelechi Iheanacho was on yellow and we did not want to risk him. Our game plan then, was to go through the middle and that was why we brought in Alex Iwobi and Sidiq Umar. But the red card to Iwobi affected the plan. I have spoken with the players. I have told Iwobi to move on. He is a young boy and needs to be encouraged.”

On if he resigned immediately after the match as reported in the media, Eguavoen said: “I did not resign. Some people are mischievous. I never said so. I know that you can’t be everybody’s favourite. Such report coming from a journalist is not good.”

Eguavoen also defended President Muhammadu Buhari after he was blamed for the loss after he had called the players and officials of the team before the match.

“Mr. President has been our number one supporter. And like a father, his call to his children was to motivate us. I commend him for the step he took. We appreciate his support for the team.

“It was unfortunate we couldn’t go past the round of 16 in this tournament. We have to put this disappointment behind us as quickly as possible and face the task ahead, which is the qualification for Qatar 2022 World Cup,” he stated.

Eguavoen also went to defend goalkeeper Maduka Okoye in Sunday’s defeat by Tunisia.

“We cannot hold Okoye responsible for the defeat. That will be unfair. The ball came through bodies, and it became difficult for Okoye to see it. I still rate Okoye as one of our best goalkeepers,” Eguavoen said.

Continue Reading

Sports

AFCON: Eguavoen no longer Super Eagles coach after knockout defeat

Published

on

Augustine Eguavoen has stepped down as the interim coach of the Nigeria national team.

This follows the Super Eagles’ 1-0 defeat to Tunisia in the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations round of 16 clash on Sunday.

Eguavoen had led the three-time champions to three straight wins against Egypt, Sudan and Guinea-Bissau.

However, they fell short against a Covid-stricken Tunisian team in the knockout stages.

“What happens next is that I’m the interim coach and Technical Director of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF).

“I will go back to my position and allow the NFF (to) make a decision on the way forward,” Eguavoen said after the match.

Eguavoen stepped in after Gernot Rohr was sacked last month. However, the NFF announced Jose Peseiro as the new permanent coach before the AFCON kicked off.

Continue Reading

Sports

Austin Eguavoen reveals he was a master tactician before AFCON (Video)

Published

on

By

Newly trending video posted on ATHLST’s YouTube channel shows Super Eagles coach Austin Eguavoen breakdown Nigeria’s football philosophy and his preferred playing style while looking back at some of Nigeria’s most historic teams.

It’s a much watch.

Continue Reading

Trending