The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Governors’ Forum is working on achieving consensus candidate in all elective positions at the party’s national convention scheduled for Saturday, said the Forum Chairman, Governor Aminu Tambuwal of Sokoto State.
Tambuwal disclosed this while briefing newsmen at the end of the main opposition’s governors on Thursday night in Abuja.
Tambuwal said that not less than 80 per cent had been achieved in producing consensus candidates for the elective positions.
“We held the meeting of the PDP governors forum and as you can see, all of us attended.
“Chairman of the convention committee brought us up to the speed on how prepared they are for us to hold our convention starting from Friday, Oct. 29 through to Saturday.
“We are also happy to say that part of what we discussed was the process of arriving at consensus during the convention.
“So far, we can say that with certainty that we have achieved not less than 80% of that process and it is still ongoing.
“We are hoping that at the end of the day, we are going to have a hitch free convention and possibly have all the candidates emerge via consensus.
“Consensus is part of democratic process and we are imbibing that in the interest of our party so that we can continue to have stability that will reposition the party as we have always said for the future,” NAN quoted him as saying.
No president will say there won’t be banditry next year — Lai Mohammed
The Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed has said that no president will say banditry will next year.
Lai Mohammed said this while responding to a question on whether the current security challenges would end before President Muhammadu Buhari leaves office in 2023.
Responding to the question at a press conference on Wednesday December 15, Lai Mohammed said;
“Nobody, I’m not sure any president will say by next year there will be no banditry. It is just like saying by next year, there will be no thief.
“But what is important is that they should judge us by our achievement. We’ve not thrown our hands in the air. There was a time they asked us to hire mercenaries, but our soldiers are doing their best in these circumstances.”
Buhari jets out Turkey for summit
President Muhammadu Buhari will on Thursday leave Abuja for Istanbul, Turkey, to attend the third Turkey-Africa Partnership Summit, hosted by President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of the Republic of Turkey.
According to the organisers, the theme of the Summit is ‘‘Enhanced Partnership for Common Development and Prosperity’’ and the agenda includes reviewing the cooperation between African countries and Turkey since the last Summit in 2014.
This was disclosed in a statement by Garba Shehu, the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media & Publicity, on Thursday morning.
The third Turkey-Africa Partnership Summit is coming on the heels of President Erdogan’s recent State visit to Nigeria during which several agreements in the fields of energy, defence industry, mining and hydrocarbons were signed to expand existing bilateral ties.
The Turkish leader had during the visit to Nigeria, affirmed his commitment to immediately expand the volume of trade between the two countries to 5 billion dollars and the Nigerian delegation will seize the opportunity of the gathering in Istanbul to enhance cooperation with other partners for more trade and investment opportunities in the country.
It is expected that the Summit would provide guidelines and direction for cooperation with African countries for the next five years.
President Buhari will be accompanied on the trip by his wife, Aisha Buhari; the Ministers of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama; Defence, Maj-Gen. Bashir Magashi (Rtd); FCT, Mohammed Bello; Health, Dr. Osagie Ehanire; Agriculture, Mohammed Abubakar; Industry, Trade and Investment, Adeniyi Adebayo; the National Security Adviser, Maj.-Gen. Babagana Monguno (Rtd); and the Director-General of the National Intelligence Agency, Ambassador Ahmed Rufai Abubakar.
The President is expected back in Abuja on Sunday, December 19.
2023 presidency: I’m not going to turn it down – Tinubu
The National Leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, has said he will not turn down the calls of those asking him to contest for president in 2023.
Tinubu stated this after a meeting with leaders of the Northern Alliance Committee in Abuja on Tuesday.
Speaking to journalists after the meeting, the former Governor of Lagos said he would, however, make consultations before officially announcing a decision on the matter.
“I’m not going to turn them down but I will still effectively and widely consult, particularly brainstorm with my friends and find a date to come out openly to tell Nigerians.
“But the president is still in office. I don’t want to distract him from all the challenges that he might face today.
“So, don’t muddle the political water. Consult, make our programme known to the people later,” Tinubu said.
Tinubu makes promises if elected President
Ayade orders recruitment into Cross River civil service
Buhari assures Nigerians price of rice, other food Items to crash soons
Faze loses his mother less than a year after losing his twin sister
2023 Election: INEC to release timetable when Electoral Bill is signed
Mompha released on N200m bail
Cristiano Ronaldo wins The Best FIFA Special Award
Nnamdi Kanu: Imo residents observe sit-at-home for IPOB leader’s trial
Court adjourns Nnamdi Kanu’s trial
Plateau monarch abducted
Dollar to naira exchange rate today 10 January 2022
Nigeria suspends cooking gas export
River Gov, Wike declares 19 people wanted for illegal refineries
Jazz legend James Mtume dies at 76
Dollar to naira exchange rate today 11 January 2022
Christian youths vow to accompany Bishop Kukah on DSS invitation
NASS staff protest non-implementation of minimum wage
Lagos APC backs Tinubu as he declares presidential ambition to Buhari
Dollar to naira exchange rate today 14 January 2022
Amotekun searchs forests in South-West as terrorists flee North-West
Metro5 years ago
Cheating wife stuck to man in an hotel
latest news4 years ago
N-Power releases names of pre-selected 2017 N-TEACH [FULL LIST]
News2 years ago
Sanusi reveals why he can return as Emir of Kano [Watch video]
Entertainment5 years ago
Funke Akindele replies to Buhari’s comment
Metro2 years ago
Kobe Bryant: 9 bodies recovered from scene of helicopter crash
News2 years ago
Outrage as professor of medicine is accused of “colluding” with late Coronavirus patient to hide his travel history from doctors, nurses and burial attendants in Kwara
Metro5 years ago
World’s oldest man,aged 145, discovered in Indonesia
music4 years ago
UNCLE G epic musical video shoot