Connect with us

Politics

APC govs searching to find replacement for Oshiomhole

Published

on

The crisis rocking the All Progressives Congress took a new twist on Saturday as the governors opposed to the embattled National Chairman of the party, Adams Oshiomhole, began the search for his replacement.

It was learnt that consultations had been going on in the states, with meetings scheduled to take place next week on how to pick his successor.

Ex-Zamfara State governor Abdulaziz Yari, a one-time Chairman of the Progressives Governors’ Forum; ex-Senate Leader, Victor Ndoma-Egba; and Minister of State for Agriculture and Rural Development, Heineken Lokpobiri, are among those being touted as the new APC National Chairman.

But the pro-Oshiomhole governors and members of the party’s National Working Committee who are unhappy with the former Edo State governor’s problems have reportedly gone on the offensive.

It was learnt that they had scheduled a meeting with the President, Muhammadu Buhari, early this week to plead his case.

One of Oshiomhole’s sympathisers, who spoke to our correspondent on condition of anonymity, stated, “Because some of us have been quiet some people think we don’t know they are doing all of these because of their 2023 agenda.

“We will be meeting the President this week to ask him if he is aware of a letter being bandied about by some of these people seeking to force our chairman out. They are claiming that he consented to attending the illegal NEC (National Executive Committee) meeting they called for the March 17.

“We will also want to find out if he is aware that this whole thing is a plot to destabilise his government, because these people don’t mean well for our party.

“We want to tell the President that enough is enough, we will not allow the ambition of individuals who don’t mean well for our party to destroy us. These are the people telling the President lies about Oshiomhole.

“We want to tell the President that these people do not love him, because he needs to concentrate on his work.”

The source further said from his interaction with some of the anti-Oshiomhole governors, their grouse with him were largely personal.

The source said, “Some of them say he doesn’t refer to them on matters affecting their states and that he doesn’t listen to them; these are not party issues, they are personal.

“Removing Oshiomhole is an attempt to destabilise the party and the President.

“Some of these people talking now almost lost the last elections in their states if not for the tough stance Oshiomhole took.

“He was also able to work hard to ensure that those the President would be comfortable working with emerge as leaders of the National Assembly. Today, the party is enjoying the dividends of this arrangement. Our bills are being passed with ease. If we allow this problem to fester, it will get to the National Assembly and we will lose the advantage we enjoy. This bullying must stop.”

Meanwhile, members of the NWC loyal to Oshiomhole have distanced themselves from the NEC meeting scheduled for March 17.

In a statement by the party’s National Legal Adviser, Babatunde Ogala, and the National Publicity Secretary, Mallam Lanre Issa-Onilu, on Saturday, the pro-Oshiomhole NWC members in the statement dissociated themselves from the APC Emergency National Executive Committee meeting, “which invitation is credited to Chief Victor Giadom, Deputy National Secretary of the party”.

Ogala and Issa-Onilu said the “constitution of the party had provided the process and procedure to be followed to convene such a meeting as stipulated in Article 25 (B) (i) and (ii).”

The article states, “The National Executive Committee shall meet every quarter and or at any time decided by the National Chairman or at the request made in writing by at least two-thirds of the members of the National Executive Committee provided that not less than 14 days’ notice is given for the meeting to be summoned.

“ii. Without prejudice to Article 25(B)(i) of this Constitution, the National Working Committee may summon an Emergency National Executive Committee meeting at any time, provided that at least seven days’ notice of the meeting shall be given to all those entitled to attend.”

They argued that “neither the National Chairman nor the resolution of two-thirds of members of the National Executive Committee has directed nor made any request to summon a National Executive Committee Meeting of the party”.

According to them, Giadom is not vested with any constitutional powers to convene any NEC meeting. They also said he was not directed by Oshiomhole to call the meeting.

However, the APC National Vice-Chairman (North-East) Mustapha Salihu, dismissed Ogala and Onilu’s statement, describing it as “a hatchet job”.

Salihu is a member of the Giadom faction which signed the statement that fixed NEC meeting for March 17.

He said, “Why are they (the Oshiomhole group) not operating from the party’s national secretariat? They are not. They are using the style of Radio Biafra; we are in the secretariat working tirelessly towards a successful NEC meeting as you can see. These people are hiding somewhere trying to confuse the public.”

Asked whether they would attend the emergency NEC meeting, Salihu said, “Yes, as you can see from the announcement we’ve made, we have written to the President and he duly responded and we have a date fixed for the meeting.

“This is an emergency meeting; the main issue is the state of our party in the light of the suspension of Adams Oshiomhole, and you know the agenda of such a meeting is a collective one.”

Our correspondent reported that armed security men were still guarding the secretariat of the party when he visited the premises on Saturday.

The security men took over the secretariat on Friday following the conflicting court pronouncements on the crises rocking the ruling party.

Recall that a judge of the Abuja High Court, Justice Danlami Senchi, on Wednesday granted an interlocutory injunction retraining Oshiomhole from functioning as national chairman of the party.

A day later, a Federal High Court sitting in Kano, presided over by Justice A. Lewis-Allgoa, which is a court of equal jurisdiction with the Abuja High Court, gave a contradictory order.

Source: Punch

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Sanusi reveals why he can return as Emir of Kano [Watch video]
News2 weeks ago

Sanusi reveals why he can return as Emir of Kano [Watch video]

Metro4 weeks ago

Spain’s first coronavirus patient reportedly recovers after receiving HIV And MS Drugs

Breaking news1 week ago

Hillary Clinton tackles Donald Trump for asking Americans to return to work to avoid crippling economy amid coronavirus pandemic

World News5 days ago

America surpasses China, Italy to become most infected with coronavirus with 85,000 cases

Sacking service chiefs is threat to national unity — Presidency
Press Release5 days ago

President Buhari sends messages to Nigerians on coronavirus, with approval of N5bn intervention fund and another N10bn request

News4 weeks ago

No February salary for Lecturers who are not on IPPIS – Minister of Finance, Zainab Ahmed

News5 days ago

About 14 percent of the recovered coronavirus patients in China test positive again

News3 weeks ago

BREAKING: Emir of Kano Muhammadu Sanusi dethroned

News3 weeks ago

Kano new Emir, Bayero sheds tear after receiving appointment letter from Ganduje

Cambodia, Egypt, Nepal, Sri Lanca
News3 weeks ago

Volunteers to receive £3,500 after been infected with Coronavirus in attempt to find vaccine

Breaking news1 week ago

Breaking: Outbreak of new Hantavirus in China amid Coronavirus spread

News3 weeks ago

Coronavirus: Pastor Oyedepo cancels church services over dreaded disease

SCOVID -19: Nnamdi Kanu reveals where Abba Kyari was secretly flown for Coronavirus treatment
News5 days ago

COVID -19: Nnamdi Kanu reveals where Abba Kyari was secretly flown for Coronavirus treatment

News5 days ago

Coronavirus: Man asked to go home and self-isolate after testing positive but no bed space for him

celebrity news3 weeks ago

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle arrive Mountbatten festival (photos)

Politics4 weeks ago

Igbos will know they are no longer Nigerians if denied presidency in 2023 – Former Governor of Anambra State, Uche Ezeife

crime4 weeks ago

Fake soldier and police corporal arrested in Oyo State

Metro2 weeks ago

Couple who reportedly died in Lagos explosion are only children of their parents

Viral4 days ago

Imam of Peace continues to drag President Buhari…trends #Presidentcovik, #ResignBuhari

Metro3 weeks ago

How I was manhandled by Police, DSS, others – Sanusi

News18 hours ago

Coronavirus: Lagos confirms 13 new cases of COVID-19

Sports18 hours ago

Ronaldinho plays foot volleyball with prison inmates while awaiting trial

celebrity news18 hours ago

Rihanna vows to have four kids with or without a partner as she graces the cover of British Vogue

Entertainment19 hours ago

Singer Aaron Carter’s girlfriend arrested for domestic violence after scratching his arm

News19 hours ago

Naira crashes to N412 for a dollar

Coronavirus: We’ve started immediate cash transfer to poorest households, says FG
News19 hours ago

Coronavirus: We’ve started immediate cash transfer to poorest households, says FG

Metro20 hours ago

Police arrests masqurade for defying lockdown order

Buhari appoints Yemi-Esan new Head of Service
News21 hours ago

Buhari signs COVID-19 Act backing restriction of movement

News1 day ago

Oyo gov, Seyi Makinde tests positive for Coronavirus

Breaking news1 day ago

5 Coronavirus patients discharged in Lagos after testing negative

News1 day ago

President Trump warns that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle must pay for their security in US, they reply hime ,

News1 day ago

Prince Charles recovers from coronavirus and is out of self-isolation just few days of treatment

News1 day ago

COVID 19: Property Merchant, Olu Okeowo, Set To Feed 100, 000 People In Lagos

News1 day ago

Breaking: Nigeria records another Coronavirus death

News2 days ago

Nigeria’s Ooni of Ife reveals herbs that can treat COVID-19

News2 days ago

Coronavirus: Pastor who defiled ban on public gathering order arrested for holding church service

Coronavirus: Ekiti state government declares 14-day curfew
News2 days ago

Coronavirus: Ekiti state government announces 14-day curfew

News2 days ago

Only those whose time has come will die of coronavirus — Pastor Adeboye

News2 days ago

Tinubu donates N200m towards fight against Coronavirus

News2 days ago

Coronavirus: Why Buhari ordered lockdown in Lagos, Abuja, Ogun – Minister of health, Ehanire Osagie

Receive NEWS for free

Enter your email address to subscribe to receive news updates

Join 13,594 other subscribers