Good morning! Read updates from Nigerian Newspapers today:
1. An Imam has been found dead in an uncompleted building in the Federal Capital Territory. Identified as Malam Abdurrashid, a native of Warawa in Kano State, an Imam with the Kubwa Muslim Cemetery. Insecurity in Nigeria’s capital has increased in recent times with crimes being perpetrated in many parts of the territory.
A lawyer Nnamdi Kanu, the Biafra nation agitator, Alloy Ejimakor, has reacted to Lagos State Panel Report on EndSARS. He said that Nnamdi Kanu and the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, have been exonerated of the allegation of being involved in the protest.
Oil marketers have predicted that petrol price might jump to N170 per litre. The Independent Petroleum Marketers Association of Nigeria and the Petroleum Products Retail Outlets Owners Association of Nigeria has warned that if not checked, the current rising cost of petrol at the depot will warrant the price increase.
The sensational singer PSquare has preformed once again in the last 5 years since their departure. Peter and Paul Okoye treat guests to their hit songs as they celebrated their 40th birthday with the likes of Don Jazzy as they plan a collaboration song.
The Speaker of the House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila, has revealed that the Electoral Act (Amendment) Bill will soon be signed into law now that President Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), is back in the country. The bill had been dispatched to the President by the Clerk of the National Assembly.
Nigerian Newspapers: Things you need to know this Wednesday morning
Good morning! Read updates from Nigerian Newspapers today:
1. #EndSARS Panel Report has continued to generate interests. Different human right groups including the United States and Amnesty International. They have called on Lagos State Government to take prompt and decisive actions with report from Lagos State Judicial Panel of Inquiry on Restitution against the victims and other form of brutalization that occurred during the EndSARS protest.
- The defunct music stars, P-Square seems to be coming back as the brothers Peter (Mr. P) and Paul Okoye (Rude Boy) follow each other on their verified Instagram handles. The former manager and elder brother, Jude Okoye and Peter also followed each other.
Ebonyi State Governor, David Umahi has denied campaign posters presently in circulation on social medial platforms for his 2023 presidential interest. Umahi denied the posters emanating from him or authorizing such posters, though he admitted those behind it must have done it in good faith.
The Nigerian Government has set 2022 as a deadline to end COVID-19 Pandemic, and set plans to achieve it even as it lament high case of fatality with a figure of about 3000 death cases.
Boss Mustapha, the Chairman, Presidential Steering Committee on COVID-19 and Secretary to the Government of the Federation SGF, made this known while briefing committee on Monday.
- The Federal Government has said it will ensure that the Academic Staff Union of Universities will not go on strike by making process to pay members outstanding funds today. Senator Chris Ngige, the Minister of Labour, Employment and Productivity, made this known that university lecturers will not be allowed to go on strike.
Nigerian Newspapers: 10 things you need to know this Monday morning
Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers
- The Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, on Sunday, declared Godwin Obaseki of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, winner of the Saturday’s governorship election in Edo State.INEC’s Returning Officer for the election, Prof. Akpofure Rim-Rukeh, declared Obaseki winner of the election after polling a total of 307,955 vote to humble his closest challenger, Ize-Iyamu of the APC, who polled a total of 223,619 votes.
- The Edo State chapter of the All Progressives Congress, APC, has alleged foul play in the just-concluded governorship election in the state. It, however, called on party members to stay calm while party leaders study the result and decide what is next.
- The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Lagos State chapter, says the re-election of Gov. Godwin Obaseki of Edo State has further strengthened its determination to win the 2023 governorship poll in Lagos State. The party said on Sunday in Lagos that if the embattled Obaseki could surmount all the challenges to win, the party also could
- President Muhammadu Buhari has reacted to the outcome of the Edo State guber election. Buhari in a statement made by his spokesman, Garba Shehu, congratulated Obaseki for his well-deserved victory.
- Goodluck Jonathan, former President of Nigeria, on Sunday, congratulated the Edo State Governor, Godwin Obaseki over his reelection. Jonathan urged Obaseki to set aside partisan politics while governing the state for the good of all and also commended the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, for conducting a free and fair election in the state.
The Chairman of the PDP National Campaign Council for the Edo State Governorship election and Governor of Rivers State, Nyesom Wike, on Sunday, thanked the good people of Edo State for ending godfatherism in the state.
In a series of tweets on Twitter, Wike commended the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, for conducting a free and fair election in the state and also the police for providing security.
The death has been announced of the Emir of Zazzau, Alhaji Shehu Idris.
Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Eufai giving details about his death, said the Emir of Zazzau, died at 44 Military Hospital Kaduna after a brief illness.
- Thunder on Saturday evening reportedly struck dead 15 cows at the outskirt of Ikogosi Ekiti community, Ekiti West Local Government area of Ekiti State.
The incident, according to Asaoye of Ikogosi, Chief Ayo Ademilua, was a natural occurrence, which he said was strange in the town.
- A storey building on Sunday evening collapsed at Obosi town in Idemili North Local Government Area of Anambra State, trapping a woman and her child.
While the woman, who is said to be 40 years old died instantly, her child reportedly survived, and is currently receiving treatment at St. Edward Hospital, where her mother was also deposited in the mortuary section of the same hospital.
- One of the gang leaders terrorizing some parts of Ibadan, the Oyo State capital has been arrested. Director-General, Oyo State Joint Security Task Force, popularly known as ‘Operation Burst’, Col. Oladipo Ajibola (rtd) confirmed the arrest of the gang leader.
Nigerian newspapers: 10 things you need to know this Sunday morning
Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1.The Department of State Services (DSS) has invited former Speaker of House of Representatives, Ghali Umar Naa’ba. This followed his condemnation of President Muhammadu Buhari over insecurity in Nigeria. He had described Nigeria as a failed state. National Consultative Front spokesperson, Tanko Yunusa, announced the invitation in a statement on Saturday. He said Naa’ab will honour the DSS invitation on Monday by 12:00pm.
2.An election petition tribunal has affirmed the election of Douye Diri as the governor of Bayelsa State. The tribunal ruled that the petition filed by Owei Woniwei of the Alliance for Democracy, AD, against Diri was incompetent and lacked merit. The three-man panel led by Justice Owodunni took the decision on Saturday.
3.Nollywood actress, Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde, has revealed that she has been ill and has since been in isolation. The actress, who disclosed this via her Instagram account on Saturday evening, said she was getting better. Meanwhile, she did not disclose her COVID-19 status but promised to return with details.
4.Lanre Rasaq, a stalwart of the All Progressives Congress (APC), is dead. It was disclosed that he passed away on Saturday. The politician, 74, had been sick and could not attend meetings since July. Razak was member of Lagos State Governor’s Advisory Council (GAC) and an ally of APC National Leader, Bola Tinubu.
5.Lebanese Ambassador to Nigeria, Houssam Diab, has said that most Nigerians in Lebanon were not trafficked but entered the country legally. He spoke at a meeting with the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, in Abuja, clarifying that the Nigerian ladies who called for help in videos were stranded because they could no longer be paid by their employees due to the global economic crisis.
6.Nigeria’s Minister of Information, Lai Mohammed, has declared that there is nothing wrong in borrowing. He said what matters is that funds are invested in infrastructure rather than services or consumption. The minister insisted that Nigeria is effectively utilizing the funds it borrowed from China and elsewhere for infrastructural development and job creation.
7.The President of Nigerian Traders Union in Ghana, Mr. Chukwuemeka Nnaji, Saturday raised the alarm as Ghanaian authorities’ shut down shops owned by Nigerians in the country. Nnaji, while disclosing the development in a telephone interview with newsmen urged the Federal Government to intervene in the matter.
8.Nigeria, on Saturday, recorded 325 new cases of COVID-19, bringing the total number of cases to 48,770. Only one death was recorded. Only 20 states and the FCT recorded fresh cases.
9.The United Arab Emirates (UAE) on Saturday donated 7.5 tonnes of medical supplies to the Nigerian Government as part of its support to the Coronavirus pandemic in Nigeria. The consignment which arrived at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport Abuja on Saturday contained thousands of Personal Protective Equipment (PPEs).
10.Former Minister of Women Affairs, Jummai Alhassan, popularly known as Mama Taraba, has declared that aside the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, there’s no other political party in Taraba State. Addressing reporters in Abuja on Saturday, Mama Taraba said the APC, a party he joined in 2015, treated her badly ahead of the 2019 election. The former lawmaker said she was disqualified from contesting the 2019 governorship election in the State without any reason.
Tinubu makes promises if elected President
Ayade orders recruitment into Cross River civil service
Buhari assures Nigerians price of rice, other food Items to crash soons
Faze loses his mother less than a year after losing his twin sister
2023 Election: INEC to release timetable when Electoral Bill is signed
Mompha released on N200m bail
Cristiano Ronaldo wins The Best FIFA Special Award
Nnamdi Kanu: Imo residents observe sit-at-home for IPOB leader’s trial
Court adjourns Nnamdi Kanu’s trial
Plateau monarch abducted
Dollar to naira exchange rate today 10 January 2022
Nigeria suspends cooking gas export
River Gov, Wike declares 19 people wanted for illegal refineries
Jazz legend James Mtume dies at 76
Christian youths vow to accompany Bishop Kukah on DSS invitation
NASS staff protest non-implementation of minimum wage
Lagos APC backs Tinubu as he declares presidential ambition to Buhari
Dollar to naira exchange rate today 11 January 2022
Amotekun searchs forests in South-West as terrorists flee North-West
Dollar to naira exchange rate today 14 January 2022
Metro5 years ago
Cheating wife stuck to man in an hotel
latest news4 years ago
N-Power releases names of pre-selected 2017 N-TEACH [FULL LIST]
News2 years ago
Sanusi reveals why he can return as Emir of Kano [Watch video]
Entertainment5 years ago
Funke Akindele replies to Buhari’s comment
Metro2 years ago
Kobe Bryant: 9 bodies recovered from scene of helicopter crash
News2 years ago
Outrage as professor of medicine is accused of “colluding” with late Coronavirus patient to hide his travel history from doctors, nurses and burial attendants in Kwara
Metro5 years ago
World’s oldest man,aged 145, discovered in Indonesia
music4 years ago
UNCLE G epic musical video shoot