Families of affected people in the collapsed Ikoyi buidling have lamented of not being allowed acess to the bodies of their loved ones.
Some families searching for their loved ones on Wednesday lamented that they were denied access to the Mainland Hospital mortuary, Yaba, where the recovered bodies were taken to.
According to Punch, a man, Jude Ogochukwu, who complained about not being allowed to identify his relation, said his family needed early closure.
He said, “I went to the IDH yesterday and today (Wednesday) when the deputy governor said we could go there, but it had been terrible. They refused to allow us to see the people there; they refused to allow us to have early closure. We need to know early; this thing can take two weeks to get it done; we are in serious pain.”
A father, Edward Godwin, who noted that his 18-year-old son was also trapped in the rubble, said he came from Abuja to look for him.
He said, “I came from Abuja this morning (Wednesday); my son is one of the victims, an 18-year-old boy. I got a call about this around 10am yesterday (Tuesday) and I started coming down immediately and ever since I got here, I was directed to the IDH, but they didn’t allow me to check whether my son was alive or dead. I’ve been to the general hospital, but I was not allowed to see anyone.”
Another man, who claimed to have taken 10 people to the site, said he had only been able to see one body.
He said, “I brought 10 people to this site on Monday; my brother, my wife’s brother and others. But I have only been able to see one body out of the 10 people.”