Connect with us

Metro

FEC approves N16bn for augmentation of Galma Dam in Zaria

Published

on

The Federal Executive Council (FEC), presided over by President Muhammadu Buhari, on Wednesday approved N16.5 billion for the augmentation of phase II Galma Dam and irrigation project in Zaria, Kaduna State.

Briefing State House correspondents on the outcome of the meeting, the Minister of Water Resources, Alhaji Suleiman Adamu, said the phase 1 of the dam had been completed while the phase II involved irrigation and additional structures.

According to him, the purpose of the dam is to provide water to Zaria and seven other local government areas of the state.

“Council also approved the augmentation of phase II Galma Dam and irrigation project in Kaduna, Zaria.

“The purpose of the dam is to provide water Zaria and environs to the city of Zaria.

“The phase I dam has already been completed while phase II involves irrigation and some additional structures.

“So there was an augmentation to raise the cost of the project by N16.5 billion in favour of Gilmore Nig. Ltd,’’ he said.

Adamu revealed that the council also approved N5.6 billion to complete Adada dam Igbo-Atiti area in Enugu State, with the aim to provide water to the university town of Nsukka.

He said the project also involved the construction of water treatment plant and some kilo metres of pipeline as well as provision of water supply to some communities along the route.

“The Enugu State government is expected to take the conveyance system from where we stop from the water treatment plant into Nsukka town and provide the necessary distribution, storage and reservoirs.

“The project started in 2010. This project has been augmented and council approved that the project be completed now at N5.6 billion by the end of 2018.’’

The minister disclosed that the Council also approved the review of construction fee for Uguashi-Ukwu dam project in Delta.

He said: “The project is almost 100 per cent completed but because of the extension of time over the years, we have to ratify the need to pay consultants for staying on site to oversee that project. So council approved the sum of N133.6 million.’’

Also, the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Alhaji Muhammad Bello, said the council approved an augmentation of additional N3.8 billion for the completion of Inner Southern Expressway from the Outer Southern Expressway.

He said that already a portion of the road had been completed and opened to traffic for motorists from Keffi-Nyanya axis into the city-centre.

“Today, the council discussed two important projects of the FCT in line with the government’s agenda of trying to complete ongoing infrastructure projects that have the maximum beneficial impact on the territory.

One of them is contract upward review in respect of the inner southern expressway from the outer southern expressway.

“This is the road that is popularly known as Goodluck Jonathan Expressway that links traffic from the Keffi-Nyanya axis into the city.

“As you know, we opened a portion of that road sometime in July this year and you have seen the impact.

“So for that project to be truly completed, there is the need to complete some of the inter-changes as well as the extension roads that we have put in the project.

“Because of the changing in cost and so on, we have been able to get an augmentation of additional N3.8 billion on that particular project,’’ he said.

He said the council also approved the infrastructure development of WASA resettlement site, saying that 197 new roads would be constructed in the area covering 88.95 kilometres.

According to him, the resettlement site is meant to accommodate 13 indigenous communities as part of the master plan

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Metro

Minna district head suspended over forceful marriage

Published

on


District Head of Allawa in Shiroro Local Government Area of Niger State, Mallam Bello Haruna has been suspended by Minna Emirate Council for engaging in forceful marriage.

The district head who was accused of forcefully marrying out a girl (name withheld), humiliating her father and also ordering that she be beaten by vigilantes, was also accused of insubordination by not answering the calls from the Emirate council leaders to explain some of the complaints against him.

In a letter signed by the Emirate’s assistant secretary, Usman Umaru Guni, the district head was accused of not having the leadership qualities necessary for peace and progress of the community he was appointed to lead.

Galadima Allawa, Ahmadu Magaji has now been appointed as the acting district head.

Continue Reading

Metro

Nnamdi Kanu: Imo residents observe sit-at-home for IPOB leader’s trial

Published

on


Residents of Imo State, especially Orlu town and Owerri municipal, on Tuesday, stayed indoors to observe the sit-at-home order issued by the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) in solidarity with its leader, Nnamdi Kanu, who appeared in court today.

It was gathered that the state secretariat, motor parks, schools, banks, shops and markets across the major cities were all shut down.

Even the Imo State University junction, Government House Roundabout, Control Post Roundabout, Warehouse junction Roundabout, Ikenegbu, Mbari, Douglas, Okigwe Road, and Wethedral Roads, were scanty.

In Orlu, the ever-busy Banana junction and Okwudo junction were more like ghost towns.

A journalist, Mr Martin Nwoke, in Owerri North Local Government Area of the state, made a passionate appeal to the Federal Government to release Nnamdi Kanu.

He said Imolites and the people of southeast states were the ones suffering the heat of the order.

Nwoke said, “In this part of the world, everything we do here involves money. I am begging President Buhari to pity us and free Nnamdi Kanu.”

A lawyer, Barr. Emeka Obi, told our correspondent that he could not go to file a court process due to non-availability of transport, while children, who could not go to school, resorted to playing football on the streets at Akwakuma.

Continue Reading

Metro

Plateau monarch abducted

Published

on

Barely three weeks after the kidnap of a paramount ruler in Plateau State, the military task force responsible for the maintenance of peace in the state, code-named Operation Safe Haven (OPSH), has confirmed that gunmen have abducted HRH. Da Gyang Balak Gut, the Da Gwom Rwei of Vwang District of Jos South Local Government Area of the state.

The traditional ruler was kidnapped on Sunday night on his way home to Vom, a few metres from the gate of the National Institute For Policy and Strategic Studies, Kuru in Jos South LGA.

Recalls that following the abduction of the Sum Pyem, Da Charles Mato Dakat, on the 26th December, 2021, before he was released five days later, the United Mwaghavul Lawyers Association (UMLA) had described the incident as not an attack on an individual, but on the entire traditional institution in Plateau State.

The lawyers equally had said it views the kidnapping of the royal father as not an isolated incident, “but the beginning of a well-orchestrated plan to intimidate and decapitate our treasured leaders in the state and the Middle Belt at large”.

While condemning the dastardly act, on behalf of UMLA, Barr. Philemon Daffi reminded the federal, state and local governments of their shared responsibility under the 1999 Constitution as amended.

Spokesman of OPSH, Major Ishaku Takwa, who confirmed the incident, said, “Troops of Operation Safe Haven (OPSH) in conjunction with other security agencies are on trail of the kidnappers.

“God’s willing, the security agencies will soon close-up on the criminals”, he maintained.

Vwang District is where the famous National Veterinary Research Institute (NVRI), Vom is situated in Plateau State.

Continue Reading

Trending