Connect with us

The Nigerian Army says Amina Ali Nkeki, one of the missing school girls abducted by Boko Haram insurgents from Government Secondary School, Chobok, Borno State, has been found.

Further reports from BBC has it that Amina was found by a vigilante group on Tuesday in Sambisa Forest, close to Cameroon border.

Amina was reportedly recognised by a civilian fighter. She told her rescuers that six of her abducted colleagues had died while others were being held in Sambisa Forest by their abductors.

The fighter belonged to the Civilian Joint Task Force, a vigilante group set up to help fight Boko Haram.

Aboku Gaji, leader of the vigilante group in Chibok, said, “The moment this girl was discovered by our vigilantes, she was brought to my house. I instantly recognised her, and insisted we should take her to her parents.

“When we arrived at the house… I asked the mother to come and identify someone. The moment she saw her, she shouted her name: ‘Amina, Amina!’ She gave her the biggest hug ever, as if they were going to roll on the ground, we had to stabilise them.

“The mother called the attention of other relations to come out and see what is happening. The girl started comforting the mother, saying: ‘Please Mum, take it easy, relax. I never thought I would ever see you again, wipe your tears. God has made it possible for us to see each other again.’

“Afterwards, we had to make them understand that the girl would not be left in their care. She must be handed over to the authority.”

Hosea Abana Tsambido, the Chibok community in the capital, Abuja, told the BBC that Amina had been found after venturing into the forest to search for firewood.

“She was saying… all the Chibok girls are still there in the Sambisa except six of them that have already died.”

The Nigerian military said she was from the town of Mbalala, south of Chibok, from where 25 of the kidnapped girls came.

Amina was later moved to Maiduguri, the capital of Nigeria’s Borno State.

Before their arrival in Maiduguri, the Borno State Governor, Kashim Shettima, who was apparently delighted about the news, told the visiting United Nations Under- Secretary on Humanitarian Affairs, Mr. Stephen O’ Brien, that the freed girl might give information that could lead to the rescue of other abducted girls and perhaps to the hideouts of the insurgents.

The General Officer Commanding (GOC), 7 Division Nigerian Army, Brig. Gen. Victor Ezugwu, who brought the girl to Shettima, told the media that the governor had promised to present the freed girl to President Muhammadu Buhari.

The governor said as a sign of honour, he would take the girl to Mr. President on Thursday (today).

The girl was not allowed to have a chat with the media as she was led to meet with the governor by military personnel.

Shortly after presenting the girl to the governor, Ezugwu told journalists that Shettima would hand her over to President Muhammadu who would in turn present her to the nation.

“I want to further confirm to you that, we have found one of the Chibok girls but we plead for your understanding on this issue, we need to give her time to rest as you can see she is traumatised and nursing a baby.

“The governor has told us that he did not want to take credit for this and will hand over the girl to Mr. President who will in turn unveil her to the nation,” Ezugwu said.

As of the time of going to the press last night, the governor and the freed girl had not emerged to address the media.

The Acting Director, Army Public Relations, Col. Sani Usman, who had earlier confirmed Amina’s rescue in a statement on Wednesday, added that a suspected Boko Haram suspect, Mohammed Hayatu, who claimed to be the ‘husband’ of the girl had been arrested by the troops.

Usman, who had earlier given the name of the rescued girl as Fatmata Mbalala, said her name was Amina Ali.

He said that the troops of the 25 Task Force Brigade rescued the girl and arrested the terror suspect who claimed to be her ‘husband’ during what he described as a booking operation at Baale, near Damboa, Borno State.

He said that investigation conducted by the Army showed that the girl was one of the 219 girls abducted from GSS, Chibok

Usman said that the girl was rescued with her one-year old child, named Safiya.

He added that the girl, her ‘husband’ and the child had been taken to Maiduguri for medical screening.

“Please recall that we informed you that one of the abducted Chibok schoolgirls has been rescued earlier today and promised to give further details.

“Further to that, in continuation of Operation Crackdown, troops of 25 Brigade Damboa in conjunction with the Civilian JTF deployed in one of the blocking positions at Baale, near Damboa rescued one Miss Amina Ali and a suspected Boko Haram terrorist, Mohammed Hayatu, who claimed to be her husband.

“Both were brought to the Headquarters of 25 Task Force Brigade Damboa at about 2.30pm today (Wednesday).

“Preliminary investigation shows that she is indeed one of the abducted Chibok schoolgirls abducted by Boko Haram terrorists on April 14, 2014 in Chibok and her name is Amina Ali as against Falmata Mbalala that was earlier stated.

Meanwhile, the BringBackOurGirls movement on Wednesday in Abuja confirmed that the found girl is one of the over 276 schoolgirls kidnapped in Chibok.

A statement by the spokesperson for the #BringBackOurGirls#, Sesugh Akume, gave her name as Amina Ali Darsha Nkeki from Mbalala.

Akume said the girl had provided useful information that her other classmates were still being held by terrorists in Sambisa Forest.

Reacting, a civil rights organisation, ActionAid Nigeria, on Wednesday said the discovery of Amina was an indication that the 218 others would also be found.

A statement by its Country Director, Ojobo Ode Atuluku, said it was great news that the first Chibok schoolgirl had been found.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Metro

Photos of Arnold Schwarzenegger involved in car crash

Published

on


Hollywood actor, Arnold Schwarzenegger has been involved in a car accident, his spokesman has confirmed.

The four-vehicle crash, which occurred on Friday afternoon, January 21 in Los Angeles left one person with injuries, Los Angeles Police said.

Photos from the scene published by TMZ show a large SUV on top of at least two vehicles at an intersection in Brentwood while the ‘Terminator’ actor can be seen standing nearby.

Police said that no arrest has been made and ruled out the involvement of drugs and alcohol.

Officers did not identify those involved but the actor and former California governor’s spokesman confirmed to the Los Angeles Times that he was driving the SUV when the incident occurred.

A report by police, seen by CBS Los Angeles, said that the SUV driver was “near the intersection of Sunset Boulevard and Allenford Avenue, when a collision occurred with a red Prius making a u-turn as he continued through a ‘red arrow’ signal to turn left.”

It added that the SUV rolled on top of the Prius and ended up hitting two other vehicles.

One person was taken to hospital by ambulance, but the injuries are not thought to be life threatening.

Schwarzenegger’s spokesman said that the actor was uninjured and had spoken with emergency services and the injured person.

Continue Reading

Metro

Minna district head suspended over forceful marriage

Published

on


District Head of Allawa in Shiroro Local Government Area of Niger State, Mallam Bello Haruna has been suspended by Minna Emirate Council for engaging in forceful marriage.

The district head who was accused of forcefully marrying out a girl (name withheld), humiliating her father and also ordering that she be beaten by vigilantes, was also accused of insubordination by not answering the calls from the Emirate council leaders to explain some of the complaints against him.

In a letter signed by the Emirate’s assistant secretary, Usman Umaru Guni, the district head was accused of not having the leadership qualities necessary for peace and progress of the community he was appointed to lead.

Galadima Allawa, Ahmadu Magaji has now been appointed as the acting district head.

Continue Reading

Metro

Nnamdi Kanu: Imo residents observe sit-at-home for IPOB leader’s trial

Published

on


Residents of Imo State, especially Orlu town and Owerri municipal, on Tuesday, stayed indoors to observe the sit-at-home order issued by the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) in solidarity with its leader, Nnamdi Kanu, who appeared in court today.

It was gathered that the state secretariat, motor parks, schools, banks, shops and markets across the major cities were all shut down.

Even the Imo State University junction, Government House Roundabout, Control Post Roundabout, Warehouse junction Roundabout, Ikenegbu, Mbari, Douglas, Okigwe Road, and Wethedral Roads, were scanty.

In Orlu, the ever-busy Banana junction and Okwudo junction were more like ghost towns.

A journalist, Mr Martin Nwoke, in Owerri North Local Government Area of the state, made a passionate appeal to the Federal Government to release Nnamdi Kanu.

He said Imolites and the people of southeast states were the ones suffering the heat of the order.

Nwoke said, “In this part of the world, everything we do here involves money. I am begging President Buhari to pity us and free Nnamdi Kanu.”

A lawyer, Barr. Emeka Obi, told our correspondent that he could not go to file a court process due to non-availability of transport, while children, who could not go to school, resorted to playing football on the streets at Akwakuma.

Continue Reading

Trending