The National Drugs Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), Gombe State Command, said on Thursday that it arrested 94 suspects and seized 1,330.137kg of hard drugs in 2017.
Mr Aliyu Adole, the NDLEA’s state Commander made the disclosure in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Gombe.
He said out of the 94 suspects, 48 were convicted and other cases were still pending, saying their investigations had been concluded and were charge to court.
“Within this period 1,330.137kg of drugs was removed from circulations, out of this quantity 498.244kg are for cannabis while 834.363kg are for psychotropic.
“Also, we arrested a young man who was peddling cocaine all over Gombe with 14.18g of cocaine.
“Apart from that there is also a local concoction like sycurdie sold to different people all over the place and about seven drums of that were been intercepted,” Adole said.
The commander added that in December 2017 the command was able to arrest an old man with 32kg of cannabis along Dukku-Bajoga road on his way for distribution.
Adole called on the parents to always monitor their children and advice them to avoid moving with bad company of friends as well as the danger associated with drug abuse.
Evans loses N200m suit against police in court
Suspected kidnap kingpin, Chukwudumeme Onwuamadike, on Thursday, lost his suit against the Nigeria Police Force, NPF, at the Lagos Division of the Court of Appeal.
Onwuamadike also known as Evans, lost the N200m suit against the NPF as the Appeal Court dismissed his appeal against the judgment of Justice Hadizat Rabiu-Shagari of the Federal High Court, Lagos over his seized 25 trucks by the police.
The three Justices of the Appeal Court dismissed Evans’ appeal because it lacked merit.
Evans, in a suit by his counsel, Olukoya Ogungbeje, in a suit marked FHC/L/CS/1515/17, had accused the Inspector-General of Police and four others of illegally seizing his 25 trucks and converting them to personal use.
Evans: Defence, five co-defendants close case
The suspected kidnap kingpin had claimed that the police unlawfully seized his trucks without a court order on June 15, 2017.
He had urged the court to grant him N200 million as general and exemplary damages against the police over alleged infringement of his rights.
But the police, through its counsel, Emmanuel Eze, had prayed the court to dismiss the suit because the trucks were proceeds of crime.
In a counter-affidavit deposed to by Inspector Haruna Idowu, the police said the suspect procured 11 trucks with proceeds of crime.
He said the trucks were listed as exhibits in the criminal charges filed against Evans at the Lagos State High Court.
Usifo Ataga: Chidinma’s father, four others face trial
Mr Onoh Ojukwu and four other persons were on Monday brought before a Yaba Chief Magistrates’ Court for alleged obstruction of justice and failing to report a crime to the law enforcement agencies.
Ojukwu is the father of Chidinma Adaora Ojukwu, the alleged killer of the Chief Executive of Super Television, Mr Michael Usifo Ataga.
Ojukwu, 57, and Babalola Disu, 42, are to face trial on charges of obstructing the police from performing their duties and failing to report a crime to the police.
The three other defendants, Ifeoluwa Olowu, 23; Jessica Egbochi, 28; and Abayomi Olutayo, 23, are to face trial for dishonestly receiving stolen items.
They all pleaded not guilty to the charges against them.
Mr Cyril Ejiofor, the Prosecutor, from the State Criminal Investigative and Intelligence Department, Panti, told the court that the defendants committed the offences on June 18 and 23, at Computer village, Ikeja, and Alagomeji, Yaba.
Ejiofor alleged that Ojukwu had refused the police from arresting his daughter, Chidinma, when the law caught up with her.
He added that the second defendant, Disu, had also failed to report the death of Ataga to the police.
Ejiofor said, “The other three defendants were also alleged to have dishonestly received a MacBook valued at N2.5 million and an iPhone 7 worth N150,000 belonging to the deceased.”
The Prosecutor said the offences contravened Sections 97, 117, 328 and 411 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.
The Chief Magistrate, Mrs Adeola Adedayo, admitted the defendants to bail in the sum of N1 million with two sureties each in like sum, who must make a deposit of N20,000 into the coffers of the Chief registrar.
She, however, adjourned the case until Sept. 6 for mention.
Edo declares 24-hour curfew after jailbreak
The government of Edo has declared a 24-hour curfew following the violence that led to a jailbreak at a correctional facility in Benin, capital of the state.
In a statement, Osarodion Ogie, secretary to the state government, said the curfew will remain across the state “till further notice”.
Ogie said hoodlums have hijacked the #EndSARS protest and the government would not allow continuous attacks.
“The curfew is to take effect from 4pm, October 19, 2020. This decision has become necessary because of the very disturbing incidents of vandalism and attacks on private individuals and institutions by hoodlums in the guise of #ENDSARS protesters,” the statement read.
“While the government of Edo State respects the rights of its citizens to undertake legitimate protests, it cannot sit idly when hoodlums have taken laws into their hands to cause mayhem on innocent citizens and the state.
“By the directive, schools and businesses are to shut down activities accordingly. Those who cannot move safely are to stay put between now and 4pm till calmness is restored.
“Parents are advised to rein in their children, youths and wards, to forestall further breakdown of law and order.
“The responsibility of government is to protect lives and property and maintain law and order, therefore, anyone found outside in violation of the curfew would be dealt with according to the law.”
Vigilantes attack police station in Niger State after bandits killed four of their colleagues
At least four vigilante members were reportedly killed by bandits at Tashan Kare village in Kagara, Rafi Local Government Area of Niger State.
It was gathered that the attack occurred around 7 am on Monday, October 12, when the bandits blocked Pandogari Road.
According to a source, calls made to the police went unanswered, leaving the vigilantes to confront the bandits. The battle ended with at least four of the vigilantes dead.
Angered by the killing, the vigilantes stormed the police divisional office in Kagara with the corpses of their colleagues, where they started a protest.
“They mobbed the police station, burgled the armory and went away with their ammunition. They were angry that the police did not do anything concerning the attack or respond to calls for help , as they left only the vigilantes to battle with the bandits , which led to the death of some of their colleagues,” the source added.
Spokesperson of the State Police Command, Wasiu Abiodun, who confirmed the incident, in a statement on Tuesday, October 13, said that members of vigilante from Tashan Kare village numbering over fifty reported at Kagara Division that armed bandits attacked their village on Monday and four of their members lost their lives while confronting the bandits.
“While the DPO was addressing the vigilante members on the efforts made by the Police to flush out the bandits, some members of the vigilante became violent and attacked the police station,” he explained.
“On receipt of the information, the Commissioner of Police dispatched a reinforcement team led by the Deputy Commissioner of Police in charge of Operations and upon their arrival, normalcy has already been restored due to the prompt intervention of the Area Commander Kontagora, personnel of operation Puff Ader and conventional policemen attached to Kagara division to secure the division. In process one of the vigilante member attempted to snatch a rifle from the station guard, he was shot and sustained bullet wound.
The PPRO said normalcy has since been restored in the area while the Commissioner of Police enjoined the people of Niger State to be law abiding and go about their normal businesses.
“He equally warned that they should not take laws into their hands no matter the provocation as measures are being put in place to safeguard their lives and Properties. He further directed the Deputy Commissioner of Police in charge Investigation to lunch a full scale investigation into the incident to unravel the root cause of the unfortunate incident and bring the perpetrators to book.” He added.
#EndSARS protest is organized by kids who have no understanding of what the root issues are — Lauretta Onochie
President Buhari’s media aide, Lauretta Onochie in a tweet has again lashed out at youths protesting against police brutality.
Onochie in a tweet she shared, stated that the protest is being organized by kids who have no understanding of what the root issues are.
She further shared a screenshot of Zahra Buhari’s Instastory post in which she condemned police brutality to back her stance on the protest.
The presidential aide tweeted;
THERE’S A GREAT DIFFERENCE BETWEEN
- END POLICE BRUTALITY AND
Thanks to Vanguard Online that captured the image she shared on her Instagram Story, we now know that Zahra Buhari Indimi lent her voice to what ALL NIGERIANS want, which is, END POLICE BRUTALITY. She posted an image that says #EndPoliceBrutality. She said nothing more.
There’s a great difference between #EndPoliceBrutality and End FSARS. One is by Nigerians, the other is by Kids who have no understanding of what the root issues are.
WE ALL WANT THE BRUTALITY TO STOP.
For me, even parading alleged criminals on National TV and making them to confess, is part of that brutality that needs to stop, especially when two or more years down the line, such people have not been charged nor convicted.
We must separate the end SARS childishness from #EndPoliceBrutality. Ending Police Brutality comes with reforms. This is why reforms are needed to reposition FSARS to serve it’s purposes more efficiently and more effectively to the pride of the nation.
The reforms are not just about laying out the rules guiding FSARS. No, its about ENFORCEMENT. The public needs to SEE that their reports and complaints are taken seriously and acted upon, including reports about those who slap or kill police officers too.
If we end FSARS and create something else, it will metamorphose into another FSARS, just as we have today- still with some bad eggs.
It’s PEOPLE that need to be held accountable.
There’s an urgent need for all Nigerians to look inwards.
When erring officers are seen to be held accountable and punished according to the laws, public confidence will return. Citizens would embrace them. Thats how national institutions are STRENGTHENED. Nations strengthen their institutions. They don’t kill them.
We cannot end the use of water because someone drowned nor can we chop off a hand because it lost a finger nail.
Let’s come together to push for a positive reform that will and can #ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY. #ReformFSARS
That’s where I stand.
Kidnapped Kaduna teacher and students regain freedom
The school teacher and students who were abducted by gunmen at Damba-Kasaya in Chikun LGA of Kaduna State have regained their freedom.
The teacher identified as Christian Madugu and her students, Happy Waziri, Ezra Bako, Miracle Danjuma and Favour Danjuma (all teenagers) were abducted at Prince Academy School located in the village.
FELLOW PRESS reported that they were released around 8pm on Saturday October 10, after an undisclosed amount of money was paid as ransom to their abductors.
Confirming their release, a youth leader in the area Akila Luka Barde said;
“Money was paid to get them released but I can’t tell you the amount.”