Connect with us

metro news

Kidnapped woman begs Nigerian government in new video to negotiate with Boko Haram to secure their release [VIDEO]

Published

on

boko haram
 

Terror group, Boko Haram released another video on Monday where kidnapped women pleaded with Nigerian government to come in terms with the terrorists in order to secure their release. The women were kidnapped last month, Sahara Reporters reported.

In the video, published by Sahara Reporters, the women pleaded with the Nigerian government to negotiate with the terrorists for their release.

The women are believed to be among 14 others abducted when the gunmen ambushed a convoy travelling under military escort along the Biu road in Borno State.

The 4:35 minutes video footage featured a hooded Boko Haram member introducing the women and thereafter asked two of them to deliver their message to the Nigerian government.

The video showed about 10 of the women who appeared traumatized but well kept.

It could be recalled that a large convoy travelling from Maiduguri to Damboa under a military escort was ambushed on June 20 by Boko Haram gunmen some 31 kilometres from Maiduguri.

Some of the travellers, including a police officer and a soldier were killed in the ambush.

Although the Borno State Police Command confirmed the attack, it refused to state the number of those taken away by the attackers.

A few days after the ambush, Boko Haram leader, Abubakar Shekau, release a short video where he claimed that his fighters had seized more than a dozen women and “senior police officers” in the ambush. Mr. Shekau said the abducted women had become his “slaves”.

The release of Monday’s video came on the same day elders of Askira Uba Local Government Area of Borno State held a press conference in Maiduguri to urge the Nigerian government to secure the release of 14 abducted women from their community.

The elders said the women were seized even though they were travelling in a police vehicle to attend a ceremony.

The abducted women are relatives of a deceased police woman whose corpse was being conveyed for burial when their convoy was attacked.

The elders lamented “the disturbing silence of the government” over the fate of the missing women.

In the Boko Haram video footage, one of the abducted women who introduced herself as Deborah Philemon, said their captors had been very nice to them, although it appeared she had been rehearsed by her captors for the speech.

“My name is Deborah Philemon. What I want to tell the people of Nigeria is that in all honesty, you (Boko Haram) have been taking good care of us since the time you picked us to this place, you have been providing care to those that were wounded.

“We have never been hungry for a single day; you give us water and all that we need to feed with. The government of Nigeria should not deny that we have been kidnapped; we are kidnapped and here we are. We thank you people that have been taking good care of us.”

After the speech by Mrs. Philemon, some of the women were shown sobbing as the Boko Haram gunman standing in front of them directed the next woman to make her speech.

Introducing herself as Amina Adam Gambiya, the woman, who appeared to be in her 50s, said she is a staff of the Federal College of Fresh Water Fishery, Baga.

“My name is Amina Adam Gambiya. I am a staff of Federal College of Fresh Water Fishery, Baga. I am a lecturer. We want the government to know that among us are government workers, some are not. We are all humans. We want government to come to our rescue the way they did to the Chibok schoolgirls; government should not abandon us, because we are all citizens.

“This happened to me when I was on my way traveling. So, on behalf of all the women here, both those that are federal government workers and those that are not, the government should do the needful just as it did to the Chibok schoolgirls so that we could be freed.

“Among the women here, there are some five of us that are breadwinners of their families. No one should doubt that we are abducted. Here we are; it is clear that we have been abducted for nearly 30 days. We beg you to do all that is best to come and release us; we are in distress here.”

The video ended abruptly after the speech by Mrs. Gombiya.

On Monday afternoon, elders of Askira Uba Local Government Area informed journalists at their press conference that the 14 women in the custody of Boko Haram were their wives and daughters.

They said they were worried that nothing had been done by the police and other security agencies to rescue the women since their abduction, despite entreaties made by individuals and officials of the local government council.

“Till date the security agencies are still silent on this burning issue,” said the elders led by Madu Bukar, a former chairman of the governing council of the Federal College of Education (Technical), Potiskum.

“We the parents, husbands, relations and indeed entire Margi community of Askira Uba Local Government Area are now in trauma waiting anxiously to know why we are being treated like that,” Mr. Bukar said for the group.

He said they had written an open letter to the Acting president, Yemi Osinbajo, and petitioned the Inspector-General of Police, Idris Ibrahim, for redress.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

metro news

Coronavirus: Pope Francis’ twin prayers for an “end to the pandemic”

Published

on

Pope Francis left the Vatican on Sunday to visit two important pilgrimage sites in Rome to pray for the city and the world, in the midst of the Covid-19 coronavirus outbreak.

Two intense moments of prayer: one before the ancient icon of Maria Salus Populi Romani at the Basilica of St. Mary Major, and the other at the foot of a wooden crucifix that protected Rome from a great plague.

Pope Francis spent his afternoon on the Third Sunday of Lent seeking to underline his closeness to those who suffer by imploring the special protection of Our Lady.

Mary before the Cross

The Director of the Holy See Press Office, Matteo Bruni, announced the Pope’s visits in a communique on Sunday.

“This afternoon, just after 4 PM, Pope Francis left the Vatican and made a private visit to the Basilica of St. Mary Major, to offer a prayer to the Virgin Mary, Salus Populi Romani, where her icon is kept and venerated. Then, after taking a walk along the Via del Corso – as if making a pilgrimage – he visited the church of San Marcello on the Corso, where a miraculous crucifix is housed. In 1522 it was carried in procession throughout the neighborhoods of the city so that the “Great Plague” might cease in Rome. With his prayer, the Holy Father pleaded for an end to the pandemic that has struck Italy and the world. He also implored the healing of the many sick people, remembered the numerous victims of these past days, and asked that their families and friends might find consolation and comfort. His prayer intention was also extended to healthcare workers, doctors, nurses, and all those working in these days to guarantee the smooth functioning of society. The Holy Father returned to the Vatican around 5:30 PM.”

Devotion to the Marian icon

Pope Francis’ special devotion to Our Lady Salus Populi Romani is well-known. He visits her icon on major Marian feast days, and makes a point to stop in for a prayer both before and after his international Apostolic Journeys.

In 593 Pope St. Gregory the Great carried the icon in procession to stop a plague. And in 1837 Pope Gregory XVI invoked her to put an end to a cholera epidemic.

Miraculous crucifix

The Pope’s second stop on Sunday was also significant, considering the critical moment the world is going through.

The church of San Marcello on the Corso houses a venerated wooden crucifix from the 15th century, which scholars hold is the most realistic in Rome. It even survived a fire, and saved the city from a plague. Pope St. John Paul II embraced that same crucifix to mark the culmination of the Day of Forgiveness during the Jubilee Year of 2000.

From the ashes

The numerous traditions of miracles attributed to the “Most Holy Crucifix” began on 23 May 1519.

On that night a large fire completely destroyed the church that bears Pope Marcel’s name. The entire building was found in ruins the next morning. But from the ashes emerged the crucifix of the main altar, untouched. A small oil lamp still burned at the Crucified’s feet.

The scene greatly touched the faithful of Rome, and several began to meet every Friday evening to pray. Pope Leo X ordered the rebuilding of the church in 1519.

To stop Rome’s great plague

Three years after the fire, Rome was hit by the “Great Plague”.

The faithful carried the crucifix in procession – despite the bans understandably put in place by the authorities to halt the spread of the contagion. The crucifix was carried through the streets of Rome toward St. Peter’s Basilica. The procession lasted 16 days: from 4 to 20 August 1522. As it progressed, the plague showed signs of retreating, and every neighborhood sought to keep the crucifix as long as possible.

Finally, as the crucifix reentered the church, the plague ceased altogether.

Since 1600, the procession from the church of San Marcello to St. Peter’s Basilica became a tradition repeated during Holy Years. The names of the Popes who called each Jubilee are inscribed on the back of the crucifix, along with the year.

*From Vatican News

Continue Reading

Metro

How Deputy CP, reporter died during Shi’ites protest

Published

on

A Deputy Commissioner of Police, Usman Umar, in charge of Operations at the Federal Capital Territory Police Command, was reportedly shot dead after a protest by members of the Islamic Movement of Nigeria, known as  Shi’ites, in Abuja on Monday turned violent.

FELLOW PRESS learnt that two of the protesters were killed, while a member of the National Youth Service Corps reporting for  Channels TV was hit by a stray bullet as many more were injured during alleged exchange of fire between the sect and security forces.

The reporter, Precious Owolabi, was rushed to the National Hospital, Garki, where he later died on Monday evening.

The protest, which started from NITEL Junction at Wuse 2, was aimed at forcing the Federal Government to free their leader, Ibraheem El-Zakzaky, who has been in detention since December 2015.

Umar was reportedly shot as he tried to pacify the protesters who went on the rampage.

The protesters also destroyed vehicles.

One of our correspondents,  who was at Force Headquarters, saw officers mourning Umar,  who they described as a very kind man.

A police Inspector said, “The DCP was a very good man. We were at the mosque on  Friday when he saw one Inspector looking haggard. The man told him how he had not been paid for over 14 months because he was unable to complete his IPPIS (Integrated Payroll and Personnel Information).

“On hearing that, DCP Umar hugged him and immediately made calls to the officer in charge of the platform and budget office. Today, the Inspector has been directed to come to the IPPIS office for enrollment on the platform. His death is so shocking.”

Continue Reading

latest news

Lack of schools toilets hampers girls’ education – NGO

Published

on


The Wheels of Hope Rising Foundation, an NGO, has said that the absence of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) facilities in schools was a major challenge to girls’ education in Nigeria.

The NGO said that this is because the lack of such facilities posed a great challenge for girls and was a risk factor especially when they are menstruating.

Mr Adigun Temitope, the President of the foundation in a statement said it was discovered that most schools did not have any in place to support girls in ensuring menstrual hygiene during school hours, especially in the rural areas.

According to him, this makes a lot of girls in rural schools absent themselves from school during their monthly period.

He said it was discovered that traditional materials and inappropriate disposal of pads were common in the school and menstruating girls also experienced many restrictions, especially from religious activities.

Temitope said that the organisation had recently distributed sanitary pads to 532 students of Odewale Community High School, Ifo, Ogun State, after providing the beneficiaries with menstrual education.

He said that the project was organised in partnership with Always Nigeria’s #APadAGirl2025 Initative and Procter and Gamble Nigeria.

Temitope said that during the event, there was a health talk by medical experts on puberty, menstrual cycle and menstrual care.

“They were told that menstrual hygiene should always be discussed with high priority among girls and young women to guide them in menstrual care.

“Parents were encouraged to extend the new knowledge they had acquired to helping their daughters when faced with menstrual challenges so they see it as normal and natural occurrence,’’ he said.

The health experts said that boys and parents should also be involved in debunking myths and reduce the stigma associated with menstruation.

Temitope said that more needed to be done by stakeholders collectively in strengthening menstruation hygiene initiatives and programmes in rural areas and schools.

“Education on awareness, access to hygienic sanitary pads and deposal of pads need to be addressed accordingly.

“Schools WASH environment should be improved, which includes separate toilets for girls, water and cleansing materials and safe disposal of soiled materials.’’

Temitope said that the aim of the project was to sensitise girls between ages of 11 and 16 and young women between ages of 18 and 24, on the importance of using sanitary pads as against other unhealthy options.

“The event witnessed a mass turnout of students alongside teachers and some parents to understand the impact of menstruation education in promoting menstrual hygiene and care among girls.

“It is also to clear the taboos around menstruation for girls and young women.

“Our foundation recognises that menstrual hygiene is fundamental to the dignity and wellbeing of women, girls, and an important part of the basic hygiene, sanitation and reproductive health services to which every woman and girl has a right.’’

The foundation is a rural-based NGO which focuses on unlocking sustainability development through education for all initiative and facilitating quality healthcare support.

It has been in existence since 2008 and the main objective is to  give hope to the less privileged including persons with disabilities.

Continue Reading

Trending