Connect with us

latest news

Qatar crisis: Kuwait’s foreign minister in Gulf shuttle

Published

on

Emir of Qatar, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al-Thani
Emir of Qatar, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al-Thani:Kuwaiti foreign minister tours the Gulf region

Kuwaiti Foreign Minister, Sabah al-Sabah, has embarked on shuttle diplomacy in a renewed effort to resolve the two month old Gulf crisis over Qatar, paying visits to four Arab nations in two days.

He visited the United Arab Emirates and Oman on Tuesday, according to the official KUNA news agency.

During the visits, he delivered letters from Emir Sabah al-Sabah tackling “the latest developments on the regional and international levels, and issues of common interest,” KUNA reported without mentioning Qatar.

On Monday, the top diplomat was in Saudi Arabia and Egypt.

Egyptian Presidential spokesman, Alaa Youssef, said the letter discusses Kuwait’s efforts to deal with the crisis.

Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Egypt severed diplomatic, trade and transportation ties with Qatar on 5 June and later put forward 13 demands as conditions to end the boycott.

Kuwait has been mediating the crisis since, though no breakthrough has been reported.

Oman, which did not join the boycott, is a member of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) that also includes Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Bahrain, Kuwait and Qatar.

As part of the boycott, the four countries banned Qatari Airways from their airspace.

Earlier Tuesday, Qatari media reported that the national carrier, Qatar Airways, and other airlines making international flights to and from Doha will begin using new air routes.

The new routes were approved by the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) last week after an extraordinary session at its headquarters in Montreal.

The reports did not specify if or when the new routes had taken effect.

Abdullah al-Subaie, Chairman of the Civil Aviation Authority, said one of the routes for Qatar Airways is over international waters in the Gulf, according to The Peninsula newspaper.

Al Jazeera also reported that an announcement made on the Federal Aviation Administration’s NOTAM (A Notice to Airmen) database said that Qatar Airways flights have temporary access to a new route over Bahrain from Monday until November 9.

The route only affects inbound flights.

Last month, the foreign ministers of the quartet imposing the boycott on Qatar said they are ready to begin talks if Qatar shows willingness to halt support for terrorism and abide by their demands.

Qatar has repeatedly denied their accusations.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Advertisement

Trending