Synapse Services is a Centre for Psychological Medicine that is committed to providing a full range of mental health and substance misuse services in a caring, patient- centred environment. We are located in the heart of Nigeria – Abuja, with branches in Lagos, and Anambra state. We provide first class psychological and psychiatric care, with a range of therapeutic programs suited to individual needs.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Clinical Psychologist
Location: Port-Harcourt, Rivers
Reports to: Clinical Lead
A clinical psychologist identifies and diagnoses psychological, emotional and behavioural issues in client, develops and implements treatment plans.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Counsel individuals and groups regarding problems such as stress, substance abuse, and family situations, in order tmodify behaviour.
- Offer therapy and treatments for difficulties relating tmental health problems such as anxiety, depression, and addiction.
- Identify psychological, emotional, or behavioural issues, and diagnose disorders, using diagnostic criteria and develop treatment plan accordingly.
- Work as part of a multidisciplinary team alongside doctors, nurses, social workers, psychiatrists and occupational therapists;
- Develop and implement individual treatment plans, specifying type, frequency, Intensity, and duration of therapy.
- Modify treatment activities or approaches as needed tcomply with changes in clients’ status
- Guide clients in the development of their skills or strategies for dealing with their problems
- Have an understanding of bipsychosocial assessment, psychological case
- formulation and develop an individualized treatment plan for every patient in therapy.
- Facilitate Diverse Group therapeutic sessions and ensure proper engagement.
- Select, administer, score, and interpret psychological tests in order tobtain information on individuals’ intelligence, achievements, interests, and personalities.
- Be conversant with different treatment methods like cognitive behavioural therapy, dialectic behavioural therapy, talk therapy person centred therapy etc.
- Collect information about clients through initial assessment and other related sources that can help tmake treatment effective.
- Be conversant with the electronic medical record system for proper documentation of progress notes and treatment plan.
- Evaluate clients’ physical or mental condition based on review of client information
- Collaborate with other staff members tperform clinical assessments or develop treatment plans
- Refer patients, clients or family members tcommunity resources or tspecialists as necessary
- Act as client advocates tcoordinate required services or tresolve emergency problems in crisis situations
- Counsel family members tassist them in understanding, dealing with or supporting clients or patients
- Evaluate the effectiveness of counselling programs on clients’ progress in resolving identified problems and moving towards defined objectives
- Discuss with individual patients their plans for life after leaving therapy
- Meet with families, probation officers, police or other interested parties texchange necessary information during the treatment process
- Plan, organise or lead structured programs of counselling, work, study, recreation or social activities for clients
- Plan or conduct programs tprevent substance abuse or improve community health or counselling services
- Psycheducate client on the importance of medication compliance.
- Learn about new developments in counselling by reading professional literature, attending courses and seminars or establishing and maintain contact with other social services agencies
- Gather information about community mental health needs or resources that could be used in conjunction with therapy
- Develop individual treatment plan for children.
- Educate family members on what they can dfor their child or how trespond tcertain behaviours.
- Have an understanding of neurdevelopmental pathways, how tdiagnose, carry out assessments and draw up appropriate treatment plan tmeet specific needs.
- Ensure that after discharge client is transferred ta robust aftercare plan for proper follow up and management.
- A minimum of a Master degree in Clinical Psychology
- Must have completed NYSC
- Minimum of 3 years’ internship/paid Clinical experience
- Strong communication.
- Excellent relationship management and business development skills
- Proactive problem-solving approach
- Stress tolerance.
- High level of professionalism.
- Ability tmaintain strict confidentiality
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Knowledge of crisis intervention techniques.
- Have an understanding of data protection and confidentiality
- Ability tobserve, assess, and record symptoms, reactions, and progress.
- Ability teffectively communicate medical information, test results, diagnoses and/or proposed treatment in a manner easily understood by the client.
- Interviewing and psychological/developmental evaluation skills.
- Ability tevaluate the progress of therapeutic programs and tmake individual modifications.
- Ability tassess mental status in clients and tdevelop individual treatment goals and plans.
- Knowledge of psychological test administration, scoring, and interpretation.
- Ability tmaintain emotional stability tcope with human suffering, emergencies, and other stresses.
- Skill in preparing and maintaining patient records.
Application Closing Date
20th August, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the “Job Title” as the subject of the email.
Note: The subject of the email should be the job title – location e.g “Support Worker- Port Harcourt” failure to abide by this would lead to automatic disqualification.