UN Women – In July 2010, the United nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women’s empowerment.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Communications Consultant, Spotlight COVID 19 Response
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Post Level: National Consultant
Languages Required: English
Duration of Initial Contract: 6 months
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The Spotlight Initiative is a global partnership between the United Nations (UN) and the European Union (EU) to eliminate all forms of violence against women and girls in support of the 2030 Agenda on Sustainable Development. It was launched in September 2017 by the UN Secretary-General and the EU High Representative and Vice President (HRVP). The 500 million Euro Initiative provides a model for partnerships with donors, civil society, and the UN to deliver on the SDGs in a comprehensive manner leveraging comparative expertise. SDG 5 and the achievement of gender equality are placed at the centre of efforts (alongside Goal 16) with the aim to provide an enabling environment for the implementation of all goals. Within the UN, the Initiative will operationalize the UN development system reforms and model a new way of delivering on the SDGs in an integrated way, leveraging collaborative advantages. Three Core Agencies: UNDP (the United Nations Development Programme, the United Nations Population (UNFPA) and UN Women) will work together with other UN agencies to make large-scale investments in priority countries.
UN Women will recruit a consultant to support the Spotlight programme. The Consultant will work under the supervision of the UN Women Nigeria Spotlight team lead and provide programmatic and operational support to the programme
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of UN Women Spotlight Initiative Programme Specialist, the Communications Consultant will engage in the following tasks:
- Develop and implement a refined Spotlight COVID 19 communications and advocacy strategy
- Develop an innovative COVID 19 social media strategy and roll out the campaigns
- Take photographs and short videos of celebrities and critical stakeholders on EVAWG and COVID 19 prevention for both traditional and web-based media.
- Liaise with Spotlight Initiative CSOs across the six states and collate good practices in response to COVID 19 using a very friendly and easy to read infograph
- Regularly liaise with the Spotlight Programme Team, other members of the CO Communication Team, and CSO partners for content development, information exchange and collaborative communication efforts.
- Contribute inputs to the communications initiatives of the UN Women Nigeria Country Office.
- Liaise with the CSOs working with UN Women on the Spotlight Initiative across the six states and collate lessons learnt in response to COVID 19 using a friendly and easy to read infograph
- Knowledge Management: Establish and maintain a database for easy retrieval of knowledge products, photographs and videos in response to COVID 19
- Establish/maintain an up-to-date documentation centre/repository for publications, press releases and feature stories, as well as photographic and audio-visual materials.
- Maintain and update media relations contact list/database. Ensure rapid and accurate information dissemination to the media.
- In collaboration with the Spotlight Programme Specialist, prepare press releases and media advisories and briefs.
- Following up on the production of advocacy and communication materials in response to COVID 19 (e.g., films, videos, audio-visuals, etc.), and oversee the qualitative aspects of production, (e.g., quality control, translations, reviews of layout and graphic design.
- Perform any other duties as assigned
- Development and implementation of a UN Women Spotlight COVID 19 communications and advocacy strategy
- Development and rollout of innovative social media campaigns
- Detailed report/compendium of good practices, lessons learnt and challenges in the response to COVID 19
- Short videos of celebrities in response to COVID 19 and prevention of violence against women and girls (VAWG).
Core Values and Guiding Principles:
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling UN Women values and ethical standards.
- Demonstrates a commitment to UN Women’s mission and vision.
- Able to work effectively within a team.
- Displays cultural and gender sensitivity and adaptability.
- Able to multi-task and juggle competing demands.
- Can assess and prioritize work needs quickly.
- Able to relate to external partners, including other international organizations and agencies, NGOs, grassroots community groups, etc.
- Sound expertise in gender equality and women’s empowerment, including on women’s political participation
- Communications or knowledge management experience an advantage.
- Academic and practical research experience.
- Fluent in Microsoft word, excel, e-mail, web-based applications and databases.
- Demonstrated leadership and personal examples of promoting knowledge management and a professional learning environment.
- Outstanding networking, team-building, organizational and communication skills.
- Capacity to work with diverse partners including governments, donors and civil society.
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with people from varied cultures and professional backgrounds.
- Results based management skills.
- Ability to produce well-written documents demonstrating excellent interpersonal communication skills.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and Experience:
- University degree in Communication, Journalism, Public Relations or related field; or equivalent professional work experience in the communication area,
- At least 1- 2 years year practical work experience in communication, social media engagement, graphic design, or interactive digital media
- Videography and photography skills
- Excellent social media skills
- Ability to think and work logically and work precisely with attention to detail
- Ability to write clearly and concisely
- Initiative, sound judgment and demonstrated ability to work harmoniously with staff members
- Excellent written and spoken English language skills
- Experience working with and guiding multiple stakeholders
- Knowledge of UN Women/UNDP rules and procedures is an advantage
- Experience in the usage of computers and Adobe design and video editing software
- Fluency in oral and written English is required.
- Working knowledge of English and other UN languages is an asset.
- The consultant will be required to work full time, reporting at the office during regular work hours (Monday – Friday)
Application Closing Date
22nd May, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
- UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.