There are probably many things in your fridge that don’t need to be there. Storing these items — which should ordinarily be stored at room temperature — in the refrigerator can decrease their taste and quality. According to www.cnet.com, you should remove the following items from your fridge so as to free up space and improve their taste and quality:
- Hot sauce: This can still stay fresh for up to three years without refrigeration, even after opening it.
- Potatoes: They should be stored in paper bags in cool, dry stores. Putting them in the fridge can make them taste funny and rot faster.
- Onions: They do best in dry, ventilated areas. Keep them away from potatoes, though. These tubers can make onions rot faster.
- Garlic: Like onions, garlic is just fine in a dry, ventilated area of the store.
- Basil: Basil is an aromatic plant of the mint family, native to tropical Asia. The leaves are used as a culinary herb, especially in Mediterranean dishes. Basils absorb fridge smells, so it is best to keep it fresh in a cup or vase of water on the counter much like fresh-cut flowers. You can also do this with any other fresh herbs.
- Avocado: Your avocado won’t ripen? That’s because it’s in the fridge. Putting an unripe avocado on the counter will make it ripen much faster. To really speed up the process, put it in a bag with a banana or apple.
- Berries: Putting berries in the fridge can make them rot much faster due to moisture. They’ll be fine in a bowl or basket on the counter.
- Bread: Bread is best when kept at room temperature in a sealed plastic bag. Storing bread in the fridge speeds up the dehydration process and makes it go stale faster.
- Batteries: You might have heard that keeping batteries in the fridge can make them last longer. This is false. The cold can actually be bad for them.
- Tomatoes: Storing tomatoes in the fridge can alter their flavour and make them rot faster. Keeping them on the counter in a bowl is your best bet.
- Coffee: Keep coffee out of the fridge and put in a dry, airtight container in the cupboard.
- Squash: This is an edible gourd, the flesh of which may be cooked and eaten as a vegetable.Most squash, especially those with thicker skin, do well for up to a couple of months in the store.
- Honey: Honey is the only food that doesn’t spoil and doesn’t need to be refrigerated.
- Cake: Most cakes don’t need refrigeration. If it’s unfrosted or has a buttercream or ganache frosting, it’s fine to store it in an airtight container for around three days.
- Uncut melons: They do best on the counter or in a dry store.
- Bananas: Unripe ones should be hung on a banana hook on the counter to ripen. However, ripe ones can be stored in the fridge or freezer to prevent further ripening.
- Ketchup and mustard: They can be kept in the cabinet for around a month without refrigeration because they contain acids that inhibit bacteria growth.
- Peanut butter: This doesn’t need to be refrigerated and can be kept in the cabinet for months, unless it’s organic.
- Cooking oil: This can be kept in the store, with the exception of nut oils.
- Apples, peaches, nectarines and pears: They can be kept in a basket in your store. They will last for about a week.
- Rice: You only need to be keep it in the fridge if it’s cooked. Dry rice can be stored in canisters or plastic bags in the store for years. If it’s stored in an airtight container, white rice can last between eight and 10 years. Brown rice can last for up to two years.
- Dried beans: Like rice, dried beans don’t need to be refrigerated. In fact, the moisture in the refrigerator can make beans grow sprouts.
- Make-up: Are you among those women who store their make-up in the fridge? You’re doing it wrong. Make-up are made to be be stored at room temperature. Cold temperatures can destabilise their chemical compositions and make them look awful.
- Pepper: Peppers, both spicy and mild, don’t need to go in the fridge. They taste much better when stored in an openair in a basket on your counter.
- Aubergines: Also known as eggplants, they are meant to be stored on the counter at room temperature.
Coronavirus: Lagos govt approves N5,000 cash transfer to residents
George Floyd was murdered by Minneapolis cop Derek Chauvin after knee on his neck ’caused asphyxia that led to lack of blood flow to brain’, Independent autopsy reveals
New video shows three Minneapolis officers kneeling on George Floyd before he died
Lady Gaga brands Trump a ‘racist’ and a ‘fool’ as she calls for change following George Floyd’s murder
I don’t have a girlfriend – Anthony Joshua opens up on his challenges in finding true love
Sanusi speaks on moves against Adesina, says AfDB rules must be respected
15 former African Presidents and Prime Minister back Adesina over calls for independent investigation against him
ICPC probes diversion of COVID-19 funds, relief material
2023: Olusegun Bamgbose declares for president, picks Yusuf Buhari as running mate
President Buhari loses nephew, Ibrahim Dauda
Islamic group seeks stricter punishment for rape in Nigeria
One out of three almajiris from Kaduna test positive for COVID-19 in Sokoto
COVID-19 hits 12,233 in Nigeria as NCDC announces 389 new cases
Federal Govt makes clearification on absorbing N-Power volunteers into Civil Service
Retired vicar, 81, who married Romanian toyboy, 27, has passed away and his husband says he’s ready to enjoy his £150k inheritance and £2,000-a-month pension
Avoid worship centers – Lagos health commissioner tells residents above 65
Father arrested for allegedly defiling his two daughters
57 New York police officers resign from ERT after two of their colleagues were suspended for shoving a 75-year-old man to the ground during protest
Ronaldo becomes first billionaire ever in football
Premier League fixtures for the remaining 92 matches of the 2019/20 season with dates and kick-off times revealed
Metro4 years ago
Cheating wife stuck to man in an hotel
latest news3 years ago
N-Power releases names of pre-selected 2017 N-TEACH [FULL LIST]
News3 months ago
Sanusi reveals why he can return as Emir of Kano [Watch video]
Entertainment4 years ago
Funke Akindele replies to Buhari’s comment
News2 months ago
Outrage as professor of medicine is accused of “colluding” with late Coronavirus patient to hide his travel history from doctors, nurses and burial attendants in Kwara
Metro4 years ago
World’s oldest man,aged 145, discovered in Indonesia
music3 years ago
UNCLE G epic musical video shoot
latest news11 months ago
IMF’s Christine Lagarde resigns as Managing Director