Parents of the missing Chibok girls have alleged that some people are using their grief to enrich their pockets.
The parents told Punch that they had yet to receive the N30m donations made by Aisha, wife of President Muhammadu Buhari.
The President’s wife had three weeks ago presented a cheque of N55m to the parents of the missing Chibok schoolgirls and those of the Buni Yadi School boys.
Dolapo, wife of the Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo, collected the cheque of N30m on behalf of their parents while the Minister of State Foreign Affairs, Khadijat Bukar, received the cheque of N25m meant for the parents of the Buni Yadi boys.
However, Yana Galla, the chairperson of the association of the parents of the missing Chibok schoolgirls living in Chibok and its surrounding villages, dispelled the rumours that the monies had been shared to them.
Galla said the money was still with the aides to the President’s wife.
Ladi Lawan Zannah and some of the parents of the missing girls, while speaking on the awaited donations, said many people had turned their grief into a money-making venture and feeding fat on it.
She said apart from the N100,000 assistance they received from the Borno State Government in August of 2015, the last assistance they got since then was N5,000, which they received from MTN Foundation during the second year anniversary of the abductions of the girls, this year.
“We only hear that something has been given and we have been waiting endlessly for it to get to us. Will it come today or the next day? This has always been the case, whereas the assistance may never get to us,” she said.
On the N30m donations by Aisha Buhari, Ladi said, “The only thing we have ever got was two pairs of wrapper and N5,000 which accompanied it.
“If the money was released, it hasn’t reached us. The N5,000 I talked about with the wrapper was given to us during the second anniversary prayers of our missing daughters.”
Ayama Pogu a retired Assistant Superintendent of Police, who complained bitterly, asked the government to rethink its engagement with all of those claiming to be representing them.
He added that the Chibok parents were being shortchanged.
No president will say there won’t be banditry next year — Lai Mohammed
The Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed has said that no president will say banditry will next year.
Lai Mohammed said this while responding to a question on whether the current security challenges would end before President Muhammadu Buhari leaves office in 2023.
Responding to the question at a press conference on Wednesday December 15, Lai Mohammed said;
“Nobody, I’m not sure any president will say by next year there will be no banditry. It is just like saying by next year, there will be no thief.
“But what is important is that they should judge us by our achievement. We’ve not thrown our hands in the air. There was a time they asked us to hire mercenaries, but our soldiers are doing their best in these circumstances.”
Buhari jets out Turkey for summit
President Muhammadu Buhari will on Thursday leave Abuja for Istanbul, Turkey, to attend the third Turkey-Africa Partnership Summit, hosted by President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of the Republic of Turkey.
According to the organisers, the theme of the Summit is ‘‘Enhanced Partnership for Common Development and Prosperity’’ and the agenda includes reviewing the cooperation between African countries and Turkey since the last Summit in 2014.
This was disclosed in a statement by Garba Shehu, the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media & Publicity, on Thursday morning.
The third Turkey-Africa Partnership Summit is coming on the heels of President Erdogan’s recent State visit to Nigeria during which several agreements in the fields of energy, defence industry, mining and hydrocarbons were signed to expand existing bilateral ties.
The Turkish leader had during the visit to Nigeria, affirmed his commitment to immediately expand the volume of trade between the two countries to 5 billion dollars and the Nigerian delegation will seize the opportunity of the gathering in Istanbul to enhance cooperation with other partners for more trade and investment opportunities in the country.
It is expected that the Summit would provide guidelines and direction for cooperation with African countries for the next five years.
President Buhari will be accompanied on the trip by his wife, Aisha Buhari; the Ministers of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama; Defence, Maj-Gen. Bashir Magashi (Rtd); FCT, Mohammed Bello; Health, Dr. Osagie Ehanire; Agriculture, Mohammed Abubakar; Industry, Trade and Investment, Adeniyi Adebayo; the National Security Adviser, Maj.-Gen. Babagana Monguno (Rtd); and the Director-General of the National Intelligence Agency, Ambassador Ahmed Rufai Abubakar.
The President is expected back in Abuja on Sunday, December 19.
2023 presidency: I’m not going to turn it down – Tinubu
The National Leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, has said he will not turn down the calls of those asking him to contest for president in 2023.
Tinubu stated this after a meeting with leaders of the Northern Alliance Committee in Abuja on Tuesday.
Speaking to journalists after the meeting, the former Governor of Lagos said he would, however, make consultations before officially announcing a decision on the matter.
“I’m not going to turn them down but I will still effectively and widely consult, particularly brainstorm with my friends and find a date to come out openly to tell Nigerians.
“But the president is still in office. I don’t want to distract him from all the challenges that he might face today.
“So, don’t muddle the political water. Consult, make our programme known to the people later,” Tinubu said.
Metro5 years ago
Cheating wife stuck to man in an hotel
latest news4 years ago
N-Power releases names of pre-selected 2017 N-TEACH [FULL LIST]
News2 years ago
Sanusi reveals why he can return as Emir of Kano [Watch video]
Entertainment5 years ago
Funke Akindele replies to Buhari’s comment
Metro2 years ago
Kobe Bryant: 9 bodies recovered from scene of helicopter crash
News2 years ago
Outrage as professor of medicine is accused of “colluding” with late Coronavirus patient to hide his travel history from doctors, nurses and burial attendants in Kwara
Metro5 years ago
World’s oldest man,aged 145, discovered in Indonesia
music4 years ago
UNCLE G epic musical video shoot