Man swallows sniper, dies after securing Canadian visa

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on linkedin

The family of Muyiwa Olushola is in mourning after the computer programmer allegedly committed suicide by taking a drink suspected to be laced with an insecticide, Sniper, at Mosadolorun in the Iba Local Council Development Area of Lagos

Neighbours said the deceased’s mother had gone for a vigil, leaving him at home with his father and sister when he suddenly started screaming for help around midnight, but efforts to immediately gain access to his room proved abortive.

Eventually, the door to the room was broken and upon entry, Muyiwa was seen lying unconsciously on the floor with a foamy substance coming out of his mouth.

The 33-year-old was reportedly rushed to hospital for medical aid but gave up the ghost on the way.

Investigation was said to have revealed that the deceased allegedly consumed a drink suspected to have been laced with Sniper, as a bottle of an alcoholic drink, two bottles of the insecticide and a cup were found on the floor of his room.

A close friend of the deceased, Babajide Adekunle, said Muyiwa had just been granted a Canadian visa and was scheduled to travel in October before his death.

Adekunle said, “He went to Cyprus for his master’s and obtained a visa to travel to Canada recently after being denied on two previous attempts. We learnt that he was supposed to travel in October; we are really unhappy that he took that kind of decision. He told us that his parents had been frustrating him at home and he decided to leave the house, but his mother disagreed with the idea.

“He had even rented an apartment, but instead, the parents suggested that he should stay in another house that they built. They were overprotective of him, because he was their only surviving son after his younger brother, Seun, died some years ago. Now, he is gone and they are left with only Tosin. May God give them the fortitude to bear this loss.”

Efforts made by our correspondent to get the Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer, Bala Elkana, to react to the incident, proved abortive as he did not pick several calls made to his telephone line, while a text message sent to him had not been replied as of the time of filing this report.