Jeff Bezos isn’t just the richest man in the world but also the richest in modern history.
The Amazon boss was born on January 12, 1964 in Alburquerque, New Mexico, United States.
According to Forbes, Bezos is the first centi-billionaire on the wealth index.
Bloomberg Billionaires Index also named Bezos the “richest man in modern history” after his net worth increased to $181 billion in 2018.
He was described as “far richer than anyone else on the planet”.
Here are some facts to know about Jeff Bezos:
• Bezos’ father Jacklyn Jorgensen and mother Ted Jorgensen named him Jeffery Preston Jorgensen at birth.
• His surname was changed to Bezos after his mum divorced his father.
Ted’s new husband Miguel Mike Bezos adopted 4-year-old Jeff in 1968.
• The family moved to Huston, Texas where Jeff’s stepfather worked as engineer for Exxon.
Meanwhile, Jeff Bezos attended River Oaks Elementary School in Houston from fourth to sixth grade.
Jeff Bezos’ education and career
• The Amazon CEO graduated in 1986 from Princeton University with a 4.2 grade point average.
He graduated with Bachelor of Science in Engineering in electrical engineering and computer science.
• After graduation, Bezos was offered jobs at Intel, Bell Labs, and Andersen Consulting, among others.
• He first worked at Fitel, a fintech telecommunications start-up, later promoted to director of customer service thereafter.
He transitioned into the banking industry and rose in career until 1990 when he joined D. E. Shaw & Co.
It was a newly hedge fund with a strong emphasis on mathematical modelling, in 1990 and worked there until 1994.
Bezos became D. E. Shaw’s fourth senior vice-president at the age of 30.
• In 1993, Bezos established an online bookstore, Cadabra that later become Amazon, which he began in his garage in 1994.
• Bezos named the E-commerce Amazon after Amazon River in South America. The initial capital of $300,000 came from his parents.
• The Amazon CEO was first named on the Forbes World’s Billionaires list in 1999 with a net worth of $10.1billion.
By 2018, Bezos’s wealth sat at $181billion, enough to purchase entire stock markets of Nigeria, Hungary, Egypt, Luxembourg, and Iran.
• In 2000, Bezos founded Blue Origin, an American aerospace manufacturer and sub-orbital spaceflight services company headquartered in Kent, Washington
Jeff Bezos’ marriage and personal life
• Bezos worth $123billion as at February 2020 after giving 25% of his Amazon’s shares to divorced wife, MacKenzie Bezos.
Bezos and Mackenzie were married for 25 years and have 4 children together.
He now has a girlfriend Lauren Sanchez.