Connect with us

MTN-logo

New facts has emerged on the fine of N1.04 trillion imposed by Nigerian Communications Commissions (NCC) on MTN, as President Muhammadu Buhari has been named as the only person to decide the fate of the telecom giant.

This was made known by the Minister of Communications, Adebayo Shittu, on Tuesday saying the final decision would be made by President Buhari on the matter and surely it would be “in the public interest”.

 

Shittu said Buhari’s decision would definitely be on the ground that both the government and MTN are aware that “rules had been broken in this instance.” He said this during the Alliance for Affordable Internet Nigeri Coalition Conference held in Lagos.

 

“The issue is now before Mr. President. He will take the necessary decision at the appropriate time. I think Nigerians will expect that Mr. President would do the best to ensure that the public interest is guaranteed,” he said.

The minister, however, denied the reports that both government and MTN Group are negotiating on how to slash the fine, saying government has made decision and it will not go back.

Shittu further said, “Recall that there were violations, which were established against MTN. The violations were to the tune of five million (unregistered SIM cards). That is a whole lot.

“There are many countries where subscribers are not up to half of five million. In the case of Nigeria, we had more than five million violations. The good thing is that MTN did not contest the fact that they had violated the regulations and guidelines. They never contested it. They admitted they were at fault.

“They apologised for their role in the saga and they made a commitment that what happened would never happen again. And of course, they made a plea for the review of the payment terms.”

1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. Pingback: 'Don't drag Buhari into MTN N1.04trn fine' - Fellow Press

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.